Thursday, May 2, 2019

Cars (and trucks) in Family Photos

I have a bunch of old family photos that feature a car. Some of them are just the car, but most of them have some people posed in front of the vehicle. People have always been proud of the vehicles they buy, so some of the pictures are probably to show off that car. Some of them were taken on arrival or just before leaving after having traveled somewhere for a visit. Others might just have been a coincidence. I went through all the pictures I have and chose some of my favorites to share, along with the captions written on the back, if there was one.


Bobbys 59 Buick
This one makes me laugh. It's a fantastic photo of my mom with her siblings, probably taken in 1959. Their Uncle Bobby's car would have been brand new. What's funny about it is what's written on the back of the picture. Not a date, not the names or ages of the kids, not what they were doing, but "Bobbys 59 Buick". That was what we needed to remember about this picture, haha.


May 25, 1947
This photo, taken in the Spring of 1947, is of my Grandma Cobb (far right) when she was about 7 months pregnant with my mom. The other two women are unknown. The only thing written on the back was the date.


Bob & Roy
My Grandpa Cobb and his brother in about 1946. I'm not sure if it's when Grandpa was released from service or if he was just home on leave.


Bobby, Louise & Jeanie Cobb
 My mom, on the right, with her little sister and their Uncle Bob.



Jack
This is my mom's cousin's husband. I love the flip in his hair and how he's standing with his face in profile - looks kinda "Hollywood" to me.




My Grandpa Cavanaugh is in the middle with his brother Melvin (Deacon) on the left and an unknown man on the right.




These are my Dad's parents, probably about the time they were married.



This is the German jalopy I had (It fell apart!)
This is Oliver Timson, husband of my great aunt Evelyn, when he was overseas in WWII.



 Great Aunt Evelyn with her daughter, Carla.



My great-grandpa Cavanaugh, his son Melvin and dog Skippy getting ready to move some apples.




My Grandpa Cavanaugh looking very debonair in what looks like a racing car.



Dec. 29, 1951

My Grandma Cobb on her parent's farm for a visit in 1951.



Aug 1958

My great-grandma Powell, on the right, with her sister Maxine. 




My Aunt and her new husband in 1957.




This was my Dad's 1966 Ford Fairlane 500.




I don't know whose Maverick this was, but I love this picture not only because someone was super proud of this car, but because that's my grandparent's house in the background and there are so many great memories there.


Aug 19, 1951
And this one is just adorable. It wasn't only the grown-ups that were proud of their cars. My mom is in the driver's seat and her little sister is posing on the hood.





No comments:

Post a Comment