Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Duffield/Sisson Postcards No. 12


This is the twelfth in a series of postcards from 1908-1914 discovered last year in the Sierra Madre, California home of Warren Brown after his death. The collection of memorabilia was saved by his grandparents and passed down to Warren, my husband’s cousin.
Warren’s mother, Edythe Grace Sisson (1897-1978), was the daughter of Edith Amy Duffield (1864-1926) and Charles Herman Sisson (1868-1927). Charles and Edith were married in Ottawa, Illinois in 1895. They remained there until the early 1920s when they moved west to Los Angeles, California.

City Hall, Dixon, Ill.



Postmarked 14 August 1909 in Dixon, Illinois

Addressed to:
Mrs.Charley Sisson, 408 Marcy St; OttawaIll.

The message:
I have nearly forgot all my friends. I like place but
not the things to eat it is rotten. We changed our
rooms from the hotel to a private house
this morning.
from,
MILAN.

The sender is not known to me. It isn't a name that has come up in the family, so probably an old friend or neighbor. Dixon is a town 60 miles from Ottawa and it looks to me like this card was sent from someone who had moved there for some reason "I have nearly forgot all my friends".
In most records I find with persons named Milan, it is a male name. There were a few in Ottawa and Lasalle County in 1900, but I couldn't find anyone with the first name Milan in the 1910 census in Dixon or Lee County to match with. Whoever he was, since he's not still there in 1910 it doesn't appear that he liked the place any better after settling into the private house!





No comments:

Post a Comment