Friday, June 24, 2016

Duffield/Sisson Postcards No. 13

This is the thirteenth in a series of postcards from 1908-1914 discovered last year in the Sierra Madre, California home of Warren Brown after his death. The collection of memorabilia was saved by his grandparents and passed down to Warren, my husband’s cousin.
Warren’s mother, Edythe Grace Sisson (1897-1978), was the daughter of Edith Amy Duffield (1864-1926) and Charles Herman Sisson (1868-1927). Charles and Edith were married in Ottawa, Illinois in 1895. They remained there until the early 1920s when they moved west to Los Angeles, California.
Chicago - Schiller Monument in Lincoln Park
Curt Teich & Co., Printers, Chicago. Publ. No. 31

Postmarked in Hammond, Indiana on 18 August 1909

Hammond, Indiana is just east of Chicago across the state line and situated on the southern shores of Lake Michigan in Lake County. Perhaps Carrie had traveled through Chicago on her way to the lake on this vacation trip.

Addressed to:
Mrs. Chas. Sisson.
Marcy St.
Ottawa.
Ill.

I am having a good time. We go to the lake to-morrow
wish you were here to see me in a bath robe! I look swell.
Well I will say good by.
Lovingly
Carrie S.

The next postcard in the series is from the same person and in it she signs her complete name, Carrie Stiles, and it's addressed "Dear Friend". I'm glad I "cheated" a bit and looked ahead! It saved me from searching and searching the family tree for a cousin or aunt named Carrie. She was simply Edith's friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment