Friday, September 15, 2017

Cordelia Francis (Hammond) Nicholas Dye (1877-1970)

Cordelia Francis Hammond was my 2nd great-grandmother. She died when I was 4 years old and I have no memory of her. I asked my great aunt Velma, Cordelia's granddaughter, to tell me about her grandma. Aunt Velma wrote the following and mailed it to me several years ago:

Cordia was daughter of Thomas & Martha Hawkins Hammonds. Cordelia Francis Hammond (nicknamed Cordia) was born March 5, 1877 - passed away June 7, 1970 she was 93 years old, plus three months & two days. She was married at Pouhatan, Arkansas to David Lincoln Nicholas. She later married Joseph Dye at West Plains, Mo. She was born in Howell County, Mo. Cordia & Joseph Dye lived at Koshkonong, Mo. 18 miles east of West Plains, Mo. on 63 Highway, she lived with my mother in Kansas City her last few years until she got where she couldn't take care of her. She died in a nursing home in Independence, Mo. a suburb of Kansas City, Mo. Cordia had one brother Willie Hammonds lived at Sturkie, Arkansas, one sister Gracie Lemmons of Phoenix, Arizona. 10 grandchildren, four step-grand kids, 28 great grandchildren, & 16  great great grandchildren.
Cordia and Joseph are buried in Koshknong, Mo. Cemetery. We go Decorate their graves every year. Cordia was a nurse during the war, she put a string of asfidity around her neck & never did get a disease. They lived close to Railroad Tracks in Koshkonong. I used to visit when I was a child, I would run hide every time a train came by. When she lived at my mothers she had to have peaches for supper every night. Grandpa Dye had a Service Station in Koshkonong. He was married before, then his wife died. Her picture is hanging in Bobs front room. Joseph Dye died in 1956. I don't know much about Grandpa Dye but he was a great man. We loved him.

Cordia Hammonds & Dave Nicholas got married but I don't know when. They had 4 daughters Belle, Hattie & Beulah. They had a small daughter to die, I didn't know her name.


Researching Cordelia, I found that most of what Velma wrote was accurate. I enjoyed the little extras, like the peaches for supper. Cordia was living with her daughter Hattie Cobb, who happened to grow and can the best peaches ever, so no wonder she wanted them each evening. 

My favorite photo of Cordia. It's an undated postcard print.

The first evidence I can find of Cordia is in the 1880 census. She was listed with her family in South Fork Township, Howell County, Missouri. The birthdates and birthplaces of the children tell us that the family came to Howell County between 1875 (a daughter's birth in Arkansas) and 1877 (Cordia's birth in Missouri).

The 1890 census records were destroyed in a fire, so that year isn't available to use for documenting the family.  I do know that Thomas and Martha had additional children after 1880. Siblings Willie and Grace were listed in Cordia's obituary and I found records for children born as late as 1897.

I found Cordia's marriage record in 1893 to David Lincoln Nicholas. It's difficult to read, but interesting to note they were under the age of eighteen and their fathers both had to consent to the marriage. They are listed as living in Moody, Howell County, Missouri.

Ancestry.com, Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002, Image 259/280, accessed 14 Sep 2017.
I haven't been able to locate Cordia and David in the 1900 census. I need to take some time and look through the images page by page because it's possible the name was hard to read and they were indexed incorrectly. I found them in 1910 on the census records living next door to Cordia's oldest brother John and his family in Washington, Fulton, Arkansas. It was here that their daughters were born. 
  • Nora Belle Nicholas was born on April 3, 1897 (married David Ward)
  • Hattie Eugene Nicholas was born on June 3, 1899
  • Beulah M. Nicholas was born on October 9, 1901 (married Walter Wallace)
  • and that infant daughter Aunt Velma mentioned was born and died before 1910. She is sort of listed on this census. It asks how many children the mother has had (4) and how many are living (3).
The family was still in Washington, Fulton, Arkansas in 1920, though Hattie was the only child still at home. The two older daughters had married and started their own families. Daughter Beulah and her husband were living right next door. Hattie followed suit soon after, when she married Henry Clay "Kay" Cobb in 1921. Aunt Velma mentioned in her notes that Cordia was a nurse during the war. Because of her age, I assume World War I, though I really don't know. If that's the case, she may have been out of the house for some of the time right before this census. I had never heard of "asfidity" so I had to look it up. I found this blog post that explains the folk remedy. Apparently people believed that wearing certain herbs would ward off the flu, polio, and other illnesses. The herbs were kept in a bag that was either pinned inside the clothes or worn on a string around the neck. So now we all know.


Sometime between 1920 and 1923, Cordia and David Nicholas were divorced. No one alive seems to know why. In 1923, Cordia married Joseph Dye, a widow seventeen years her senior. His first wife had died young and he had her portrait made for $300, so the story goes. Cordia wouldn't allow it to hang in their home, so he hung it in his office. Like my aunt Velma mentioned, the portrait now hangs in the living room at Bobby Cobb's home in central Missouri. I photographed it when I was there to visit in July. It has a big elaborate frame that I sadly didn't capture in my picture. $300 back then, in rural Missouri, was a bunch of cash to spend on a wall portrait. It's really spectacular. Uncle Bob said his Grandpa Dye wanted to be sure that the portrait was always taken care of and hung where it could be seen. Uncle Bob promised he would see to it. Even though she was not a blood relation, it's a sweet love story and a promise is a promise.

Portrait of  Sarah Rainwater Dye, 1st wife of Joseph Dye, as it hangs in the home of Bobby Cobb.

While at my Uncle Bob's this summer, he also brought out an envelope with a handwritten note documenting the marriage of Cordia and Joseph along with their marriage certificate. I just had my phone, which was almost dead, so I quickly snapped a photo of the note before it died completely (see below). Cordia and Joe lived in Koshkonong, Missouri, a little town along the highway. Velma said Joe owned a service station. Uncle Bob remembers that he had a business of some kind and that's where Sarah's portrait was kept. In 1930, on the census, they were recorded living on Luyster Street and he was a "buyer" of "ties". Railroad ties? I looked at a map and Luyster is a long street that intersects with Hwy 63. The railroad runs closest to the street on the highway end of Luyster. Aunt Velma remembers the scary trains, so their farm must of been in that area.

"J. F. Dye and Corda F. Hammond was married April 25 (27 is written below 25) 1923"
Handwritten note possessed by Bobby Cobb, unknown by whom written.
Cordia was widowed in 1944 when her husband Joseph Dye passed. She lived until 1970 and from what I understand was quite eccentric. My mom and her sister both recall going to visit at their great-grandma Cordia's home, but they weren't permitted in the house. They would wait on the front steps where they were allowed to eat grapes from the vines that grew there. Another vivid memory was the view inside her home from the front door. In her later years, Cordia became what we know now as a "hoarder". She didn't throw things away and from her front door all one could see was a narrow path down a hall. Things, papers and magazines and who knows what, were stacked along both walls. When my mom told me the story, she said it was a good thing that house never caught fire.

Later, when she was unable to care for herself, Cordia went to live with her daughter Hattie. Cordia was a quiet woman. In fact, my aunt doesn't remember ever hearing her great-grandmother speak. Sadly, she was just kind of in the background. Peaches, however, was something my aunt did remember. She thinks Cordia had a bowl of Hattie's peaches at every meal!

5 generations - Cordia Dye, Hattie Cobb, LeRoy Cobb, Louise Cavanaugh & Shannon Cavanaugh (me).
Taken in Kansas City at Hattie's home in 1967. 

Cordia died in 1970 in Independence, Missouri. I think Aunt Velma may have copied some of the information she sent me from this funeral card as it matches up with her note (above), even the error in death year for Joseph Dye.
Obituary from the back of Cordia's funeral card.

Cordia Dye's funeral card .
Pallbearers at Cordia's funeral were grandsons J. D. Cobb, Bobby Cobb and Roy Cobb (Hattie's sons), Wayman Womack (husband of Hattie's daughter Velma), Jewell Ward (Belle's son), Gary Proffitt (husband of Belle's daughter Virginia), and T. J. Waters (husband of Beulah's daughter Imogene).

The grave of Cordia, not Pauline, and Joseph Dye in Koshkonong Cemetery, Koshkonong, MO.
Photo taken July 2017.
I know this is the grave of Cordia and Joseph Dye. The dates are her birth and death date. Joseph's dates are correct. It's the grave Aunt Velma decorated every year in Koshkonong. I haven't figured out for sure where the name Pauline comes from. I have an idea, though. I scribbled the name Cordia...

Cordia, scribbled, could maybe be mistaken for Pauline...

...and I think I can see how maybe if the name was sloppily written it might have been mistaken for Pauline by the cemetery. I don't have a copy of Cordia's death certificate. It won't be available online until 2020 as Missouri makes digital copies available 50 years after death, so we can look at it then and see if my theory pans out!

18 comments:

  1. Was curious about your Hammond Line, does it go to NEW ENGLAND. Was curious of your last name, I have Drew in my family and my Dad lived with them for a bit. Iowa, Wyo. Colorado etc. possibly from NY? SusiCP@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susi, I have my Hammond line into the early 1800s in Kentucky where I'm stuck for now, so I don't have an answer to your question. But the Drew surname is from New England. It's my husband's family, though, and Hammond is in my maternal line, so the two are not connected as far as I know.

      Delete
  2. Richard W HawkinsJuly 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM

    Shannon, I am doing research on my Hawkins ancestors who lived in Howell County, Missouri. Martha Jane Hawkins Hammond, born 1851 in Missouri and died in Sturkie, Arkansas in 1931, was my Great Aunt who married Thomas Hammond. Cordia is her daughter. I'm specifically seeking information about Martha Jane Hawkins mother, Lucinda (Harber) Hawkins, who was born in 1822 in Filton County, Arkansas. Martha Jane Hawkins father was John Benjamin Hawkins. What bio information do you have on Marth Janes's mother Lucinda (Harber) Hawkins? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Lucinda's maiden name was Stinnett/Stinnit - here is the theory I'm working on... In the 1850 census for Bennett Bayou, Fulton, AR, Lucinda Stinnit is in the household of Patsey Stinnit, and is listed as age 25, b. AR with 5 younger Stinnit's, probably siblings. A few houses away lived Benjamin and Elizabeth Hawkins. Their son John B. Hawkins had moved with his first wife to MO about 1840 and was living in Ozark, MO in 1850, widowed. John B. and Lucinda were married soon after that census was taken and then moved to Howell County, MO. After John's death, Lucinda married Henry Harber. I'm still searching for the marriage records to support this theory.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Shannon. My wife and I will be visiting Howell County, Missouri and Fulton County, Arkansas beginning Friday to talk to Brien Nix Hall and Larry Hammond about this. Do you have other information on Lucinda Stinnett?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From census records:
      In 1860 she was living in Benton, Howell County, MO
      In 1870 she was living back in Bennett Bayou, Fulton County, AR with Henry Harber.
      In 1880 she was up in Cass, Texas County, MO living in her son James' household.
      I don't have any information after 1880. If you discover anything regarding her death or burial place, please let me know.

      Delete
    2. Shannon, with your and others help I now have the genealogy of my ancestral line solved. I'm still missing these things. 1) When and where Lucinda died and where she is buried, 2) Where her husband John B. Hawkins is buried, 3) Why Lucinda is not listed as a child of Abner and Patsy Stinnett in Ancestry or Familysearch. Speculation is they are buried at McElmurry Cemetery near Moody, MO. I did discover some neat stuff about Lucinda. Her brother Rufus Stinnett and Sarah Goodman had a daughter named Martha. Martha married Jacob Grisso if Fulton County, AR. Martha and Jacob had a son Williams Edward Grisso who moved to Seminole, OK in the 1930's and oil was discovered on his land. He became a rich oilman and built the Grisso Mansion in Seminole. My wife and I toured the Mansion in July. Richard

      Delete
    3. Questions 1 and 2 are some I have, too! As far as the 3rd, well, we know how hard it is to find the proof in this line and likely no-one else has found concrete evidence for Lucinda's parentage. I agree that Moody Cemetery is a possibility. I'll look and see if I can find out when it's earliest burials were. I've never been there, but read that it's very overgrown. I was in the area in the summer and afraid of snakes and ticks! But I would love to go check it out and see if any of the stones are still legible. There are a bunch of relatives known to be buried there. And your info on Grisso is interesting! Will check that out! Thanks for keeping in touch Richard :)
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Shannon: Since our communication on October 17, 18, I have discovered the Grisso connection, Lucinda's parentage, Lucinda's marriages. The laat documentation I have of Lucinda is that her last name was Harber when she was living with her son James Marshall Hawkins in Cass, Texas County, MO according to the 1880 Missouri Census. She disappears after that. SHe either died, remarried, or moved to another state to liver with another relative. I would love to talk to you by phone to update you. Call me at 405-612-2831. Thanks, Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, I'm puzzled why you haven't replied to my Dec. 14 post. Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, I apologize for the delay in responding. My husband and I have been busy moving and getting settled in a new home. A big job after years of accumulating "stuff" in our last home! My office is just beginning to return to normal.
      I knew about Lucinda's marriage to Henry Harber and had located her in that 1880 census. What I don't have is solid proof of her parentage. If you have discovered some documentation linking Lucinda to her parents, I would very much like to see it. You can email the documentation to me at shannondrew29@gmail.com.
      Thanks, Shannon

      Delete
  6. Yes, moving is a bear to do. That's why we haven't moved in 32 years. Lucinda (Stinnett) Hawkins Harber parents are Abner Stinnett (b. 1783 Amherst, VA, d. 1845 Fulton County, AR) and Patsey (McAdoo) Stinnett (b. UNK, d. UNK). I'll email you an 1850 Census record from Bennett's Bayou, AR, listing Patsy, Lucinda, and her brothers and sisters. Abner died in 1845 so He's not listed in this census record in 1850.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also believe that Abner and Patsy were her parents, but am still looking for more documentation to prove it. I added them in my Ancestry tree a while back and have worked on it a bit here and there, but so far that census record is the only document I've found connecting Lucinda to them. It may be all we'll ever find, but I'll keep looking :)

      Delete
    2. Shannon, I have GREAT news. I have discovered a very old map of Sargent Cemetery in Caboo', Missouri, that has the name Lucy Harber written on it with her birth and death date matching the birth and death date of Lucinda (Stinnett) Hawkins Harber, my 2nd great grandmother. The grave only has a field stone as a marker. I about jumped out of my skin when I saw it. Richard

      Delete
    3. Richard, that's amazing! It looks like you've found her! Great work, cousin!

      Delete
  7. Shannon: I still haven't solved if Rufus Abner Stinnett or his brother Abner P Stinnett is the father of Martha Stinnett, who married Jacob Grisso. Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rufus Stinnett is NOT the father of Martha M. (Stinnett) Grisso. Her father is Abner P Stinnett. Source is 1860 Census of Bennett Bayou, Fulton County, AR.

      Delete
  8. Shannon: Rufus Stinnett is NOT the father of Martha M. (Stinnett) Grisso. Her father is Abner P Stinnett. Source is 1860 Census of Bennett Bayou, Fulton County, AR.

    ReplyDelete