Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Basics of Family History Research, or what I've learned along the way

I've been researching my family history for a long time and I forget how some of the basics that are second nature to me can be completely foreign to someone who has never even thought about genealogy. Like a lot of genealogists, I didn't start out knowing how to do this. I winged it. And I screwed up a lot. Over the years, I have learned a lot about how NOT to do genealogy research! Because of that, I have a pretty good idea how I'd start if I were to do this all over again. Did you know that's a thing? Genealogists, like me, that didn't know what they were doing when they started, sometimes decide to REDO the whole thing! I'm not planning a Genealogy Do-over, but if I were to start again, I would follow these same suggestions.


  • Start by gathering family documents and jotting down the stories you've heard from older family members. Begin creating your family tree, or pedigree chart, by filling in these details that you know. Pedigree charts, also called lineage or ancestral charts, can be found online for free. Just google "free pedigree chart to print", choose one and print out a few. Beginning with yourself, fill in that information you already have. List full names (tip: always use a female's maiden name on your chart), birthdate and birthplace, marriage date and place, and death date and place. It's good practice to consistently log your date and place info. For example, I list dates as DD Mon YYYY (13 Sep 2017), and I list places as City, County, State, Abbreviated Country. However you decide to enter the information, you'll be glad in the end that you stuck with a consistent format. When you fill in the first chart, you start another chart for each of the last generation, placing them as person #1 on the new chart. 
This is my family tree. My tangible version that isn't online.
 I keep it on the wall in my office and you can see I still have a lot of blank spaces.

  • Your goal is to fill in all the blanks. But don't expect to fill in ALL the blanks. Kudos to you if you can, but it's a lofty goal. Once you have compiled all the known information, take a look at your chart and determine where the blanks are that are closest to your starting person on the chart - You. Generation one and two are probably pretty complete. Maybe three is, too. Find the first blank, maybe it's your paternal grandparent's marriage date and place. Formulate a research question, "When and where were my paternal grandparents married?" As you conduct family history research, you will tackle countless blanks that will all require research. Set yourself up for success by always starting with a plan. It can be as simple as a blank page in a spiral notebook with your research question written at the top. Your pedigree charts and research plans and notes can be handwritten on forms or can all be digital. There are software programs specifically for family history research. I use RootsMagic, but it's one of many programs available. You can also create your family tree online on Ancestry.com ($) or FamilySearch.org (free). 
Spiral notebooks are great research companions.
I buy a bunch each year when school supplies go on sale!

  • Begin your research with the basics. Is there someone living who may have the information you need? A simple telephone call, email or visit may yield results. If you're lucky enough to have a relative to interview, TAKE NOTES! Or record the conversation, with their permission, of course. If you can't locate someone to ask, records may be available for the period and place you're searching. The best way I've found to find out what records are available is to use the FamilySearch Wiki. FamilySearch is a website you'll want to get to know. It was created by the Church of Latter Day Saints and is free to use. Click on the Search tab at the top and then choose Research Wiki. Follow the directions to the location you're searching and there you'll find what records are available for the time period. Look for birth, marriage and death records first and get familiar with them. Many of these records are digitized, so you can look at the actual image. ALWAYS examine the document if you can and extract all the information it holds. Try to use documents created near the time of the event. For example, proof of a birthdate is likely more accurate on a birth certificate than on a death certificate. The accuracy depends on who the informant was and if they were present at the actual event.
I snapped a photo of this picture that was hanging in my great uncle's bedroom
as he was giving me a tour of his home. These were his great-grandparents and he remembers them. They were my 3rd great-grandparents and I would have never known who they were if he hadn't told me.

  • Keep detailed records of your research. This is where most people stumble. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of finding answers to your questions and rush ahead to the next event or the next ancestor. But, and I mean this, SLOW DOWN. I tell myself all the time, slow down and document your findings. What happens if you don't? Fifteen years from now you'll return to that family to research some more and won't have a clue where you found the record that you now want to have a new peek at. Believe me, it happens. So, use the notes field in your software program or write it down in your research log to be filed away with your research on that family. Note the repository, the title of the book, the website address, the page number, the image number, the date you accessed...whatever information you think you'll need to retrace your steps someday if you should need to. And don't think you won't need to, because you might. Or someone else picking up your research in the future might. Start doing this from the beginning and you're research will be better for it.

  • Verify everything. Please don't blindly copy someone else's family tree. Please don't count an index as undeniable proof. And please don't read it in a book someone wrote about a family and assume it's the truth. Absolutely use all of these things as CLUES, but look for the source information and try to find and verify the information yourself. One wrong name on your chart can skew your research and make a real big mess. Imagine, you copy the names of parents of someone into your family tree and research those two people. For years. And later you find out they were the wrong couple...it happens. And it really, really sucks. From the beginning, verify everything and build yourself a solid tree. You'll create something to be proud of and pass on to your family.

  • Don't keep it all to yourself. My last piece of advise is to SHARE your research. Talk about the family history, especially with young people. Ask your elders to tell you stories about the people you're researching. Organize family reunions. Write a blog. Write a book. Create a family facebook page to share photos and stories. I've done some of these things and I can tell you, not everyone is interested. I get some rolled eyes and blank stares sometimes. Oh well... Other times, I find there are people interested in the things I've learned and the stories I've uncovered. Share your research. It brings generations closer when there is a strong connection to the past. 
A group shot at one of our family reunions.


No comments:

Post a Comment