Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Great Aunt Ernestine - an artist who lost her vision

Edna Ernestine Allen Dvorak (1908-2005) was a daughter, sister, wife, mother, and artist. Born in 1908 in the farming community of Outlook, Washington, Ernestine was immersed in the arts from a young age. To entertain themselves, she and her siblings were encouraged by their parents, Elam and Rena Allen, to be creative. They learned to play instruments, sing, write poetry, draw, and paint. After graduating Salutatorian of her Kiona Benton High School class, Ernestine made the decision to pursue art studies at the Derbyshire School of Fine Arts in Seattle. She also studied poetry writing under the tutelage of Lucile V. McCurtain, publishing several pieces in literary magazines. A charter member of Artists United and a member of the Seahurst Workshop Gallery in Burien, Ernestine created many marvelous paintings and won numerous awards. Ernestine's husband, Don Dvorak, worked behind the scenes in movie theaters, running the projectors to bring the movies to the big screen for viewers. Ernestine and her children were always among the first to see the newest films. It's fair to say that Ernestine's life revolved around the world of art.

Don and Ernestine Dvorak
photo courtesy of Rene Rodgers.

I met my Great Aunt Ernestine only once. My cousin Rene and I arranged a visit to see her in the early 2000's. I don't recall the exact year, but the visit itself is a clear memory. Ernestine gave us a tour of her home, pointing out her artwork as we passed each framed canvas. This tour was from memory; Ernestine was blind. Her sight had faded gradually as she aged due to hereditary glaucoma and she had been blind for many years. When I met her that day, she wore dark glasses and had been listening to the Bible through headphones. There was a stack of religious audiobooks on the table in front of her. It appeared that this was how she now spent much of her time. In her 90s, Great Aunt Ernestine was still sharp as a tack. She shared some stories of her childhood and told me about my grandmother, her younger sister Helen. As a story-teller, she was also a bit of an artist. Adding flourishing details, she animated the tales she told and I can vividly recall them today.

It wasn't long after our visit that Ernestine died. I have often thought of her and the challenge it must have been to lose her eyesight, and with it, her ability to create her beloved paintings. I could still see the pride on her face as she led that tour through her artwork. She could recollect when and where she had painted each one and the awards and recognition that had followed. Newspaper clippings of her accomplishments were lovingly saved in scrapbooks. As Rene and I thumbed through them, Ernestine was following along from memory. When she spoke of her sadness at being forced to give up the hobby she so loved, I said a little prayer asking for my sight to remain until I die.


4 comments:

  1. Surprised to see this little story. Ernestine was a good friend of my great aunt Mabel Kendall Reese, they graduated from Kiona Benton together. I am at my cousin's house today and was looking at a painting by Ernestine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We came across an old painting signed Ernestine Dvorak. It appears to be the San Juan Islands scene. I wonder if someone in the family would want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have the painting? I may be interested!

      Delete