Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Nyleta (Powell) Cobb 1926-1987

Nyleta wasn't given a middle name by her parents, Ernest and Julia (Davis) Powell, when she was born on May 1, 1926, in Hartshorn, Texas County, Missouri. She wasn't named after a grandmother, an aunt, or any other family member alive or dead. The name was more common in Australia but very rare at that time in the United States. It makes me wonder how Ernest and Julia, a farming couple from the Ozarks, came up with the name for their second daughter, my maternal grandmother.

Growing up, Nyleta was called by the nickname Tooter. Given to her as a child when she was working really, really hard to learn to whistle, the name stuck with her throughout her life among family and close friends. When I was a little girl, I thought her real name was Tooter because that's all I'd ever heard her called. I discovered her "real" name when I was about 8 or 9 years old. My dad had filled in the simple family tree in the front of my parent's wedding Bible, my first genealogical discovery!

Nyleta (Powell) Cobb, wedding portrait taken in Dec. 1944
My grandparents were married in Kansas City, Missouri in December of 1944. Leroy Cobb was born in 1927 in West Plains, Howell County, Missouri and was only 17 when they were married, requiring the consent of his parents, Kay and Hattie Cobb. Nyleta was 18 and considered "of age". In the Spring of 1945, Leroy enlisted in the Navy. He was discharged a year later and the young couple settled down to begin their family. They lived in downtown Kansas City in a home with Roy's parents. It was there that daughter Louise came in 1947, followed by Julia in 1949, and Ronald in 1952. Nyleta worked some odd jobs during that time to supplement the family income. She packed tomatoes at the City Market and worked for her Uncle Joe Fisher at his downtown restaurant.

Leroy and Nyleta Cobb, about 1950,
at a Cobb family gathering.
In 1956, Leroy and Nyleta bought a home of their own in the Gladstone area of Kansas City. It was a small home, but even after son Randall came that year, it was roomy enough for their family of 6. When I was little, my grandma worked in the Farmland cafeteria. I think it was mostly a cafeteria for the Farmland employees, but I remember going with my mom to have lunch at Grandma's work. She worked there until she retired.

Nyleta Cobb with her daughters, Louise and Julia.
Taken in Hartshorn at her parent's home about 1951.
My grandmother enjoyed having her family near. She loved to host everyone at her house, cooking meals to feed as many as could cram around her big dining room table. In the 1970s and 1980s, three of her four children moved their families out of state. My grandma really hated that her kids were so far away, but the worst was that they took the grandchildren with them. Our family vacations were always to my grandparent's house to visit, and they made trips to see us, too.

Leroy and Nyleta Cobb, 1981
at my parent's house in North Bend, WA
Nyleta was diagnosed with cancer at age 59 and died two years later after a long, tough struggle. She was as special as her name was unusual, and is so fondly remembered by her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment