Friday, April 27, 2018

April 12, 1922 "That black cat that crossed in front of us was surely a jinx."

Edythe has finally received the photo of Rayson. The picture below is from a year earlier when he received recognition for reaching the 32 degree level with the Masons. He is a handome man!

George Rayson Brown
Photograph from his 32 Degree Mason certificate

Rayson's 32 Degree certificate - it's so big that I couldn't scan the whole thing.
It's dated March 1921 in Chicago.






Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67 St.,
Chicago, Illinois.

From:
408 Marcy St.
Ottawa, Ills.

Transcription:
Ottawa, Ill.
April 12 - 22.

Dear Rayson:

Your most welcome letter came this morning. It was rather unexpected as I was under the impression that it was my turn to write and so was very glad to hear from you.

Rayson I didn't get a chance Sunday to tell you that I received the photograph. It surely is fine and I want to thank you a thousand times. To me it represents all the ideals of what a man should be, everything that is clean and good, and Rayson I think you are wonderful, you have done what few other young men of today would do. I am very proud to call you a friend and hope I may always do so.

I was sorry to leave Sunday night I should liked to have gone to church with you and heard Rev. Williamson speak. And to I missed out on the ice cream.

You made a terrible hit with my Mother and so I guess it is a bad case for both of you. She came home safely tonight, after two awfully lonesome days, knocked at the front door and wanted to know if she could stay all night. I was so glad to see her I didn't know what to do, It was awfully lonesome here all alone.

You seem to have the wrong idea about Billy Madigan. You know Rayson he is nothing whatsoever to me only an awfully good friend and has done so much for me. He used to come to the office and help me with my hardest work when I was tires. He calls himself my big brother and has surely been like a brother but outside of being a dear friend and a dependable one, he is nothing more to me.

As you say Dear out plans have been slightly altered since I saw you Sunday. You cannot come to Ottawa Easter and and that is all right if duty calls. I would surely have liked to come there Easter but as long as Vera wants me to come for her on the twenty third I cannot make so many trips and will see you at that time. Then I want you to arrange to come here the thirtieth or as soon as you can.

I intend to make the trip the alone, or bring one of the girls with me, I am pretty sure I can find the way by myself. If I get lost I send you an S.O.S.

That black cat that crossed in front of us was surely a jinx. We lost our way twice before we finally found our way out of the city and out between Chgo. and Lockport the fan belt broke and we had to stop at the nearest garage and have a new one put on but finely arrived home safely. Due to the fact that we were home late I had to stay alone but was too tired to even think of being afriad and was asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

Today I crated my victrola and packed my chest and will probably leave on the 3:40 PM train on Apr. 13-22 and should be there by Saturday. Will you tell Vera Rayson, Please that they are on the way and that I am paying the express so they won't try and collect again up there.

Well Rayson I am just dead tired after crating that machine. The box was an Edison case and my machine was a Sonora and much smaller, so you see it took no small amount of figuring to make it fit. Aunt Vic helped me for I never could have managed alone.

Please excuse the writting for after wielding a hammer all day my arm is so shaky I can hardly write. It is getting late and as I am very tired will say good night for this time. Write again soon. As ever, Lovingly,
Edythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment