Wednesday, April 18, 2018

February 19, 1922, The first letter to Rayson from Edythe

When Warren Brown passed away, I went with my brother-in-law to help clear out the house. I was in charge of "memorabilia" and oh, boy was there a lot! Warren's parents were G. Rayson Brown and Edythe Grace Sisson. They lived in the home with Warren when they were nearing the end of their lives and all the stuff they brought was still there when Warren died. Rayson was a saver. One of the sweetest finds was a bunch of letters from Edythe and her mother to Rayson prior to their marriage.

Just a bit of background - Edythe's parents were Charles Herman Sisson and Edith Amy Duffield. They had two daughters, Edythe and Vera, and lived in Ottawa, LaSalle County, Illinois. Charles was a carpenter and had made the decision to move west to California. Rayson's parents lived in Ottawa, but Rayson was living and working in Chicago. Edythe was 24 years old, Rayson 23. In these letters, we can see the beginning of their love story.







Addressed to:
G Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67 St.
Chicago
Illinois

From (on the back of the envelope):
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Illinois

Transcription
Ottawa, Ill.,
2-19-1922.

Dear Rayson,

I received your letter and was surely glad to hear from you. This has been a very busy week for me, being away Monday just seemed to put me back all week with my work.
Yes I got home all safe and sound, but all tired out. I took a taxi from the station because it was late and too far to walk.
Clara Gerding came down on the train with me. Do you remember her? She lives just at the top of the East Hill on State St.
This town surely seems unbearable after I am in Chicago for a while. I like the noise and excitement of the city. Here we go along in the same old rut year after year.
The office was all up side down Tuesday morning. The new fixtures came Monday and new counter fills up the whole front office. 
Mother is getting along fine now. It has been such nice weather, she goes for a long walk every day and the fresh air is doing wonders for her.
I like the little church on the corner, every one is so sociable. They make you feel right at home. I was surprised to see so many young men in church. Here the boys all seem afraid of a church.
Well Rayson I must bring this letter to a close as I haven't written to Father for a long time and must do so tonight. Write again soon as I will be looking forward to a letter from you,

Lovingly
Edythe.


No comments:

Post a Comment