Monday, April 30, 2018

April 26, 1922 "I still have the rose from Sunday"





Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

From:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.

Transcription:
Ottawa, Ill.
Apr. 26-22.

Dear Rayson:

Your dear letter came this morning, and I was awfully glad to hear from you. It seems to me ever since we reached home that you are some where near me and I catch myself wondering where you are and what you are doing.

I was busy sewing when your letter came, just finishing a kimona which I started several weeks ago and dear I broke the needle while sewing on it. You know what that is the sign of. Or perhaps you do not believe in signs. Mother and Vera were both darning socks for Billy.

Tell Billy if you see him that the trunk arrived this afternoon just as we were ready to start for town. Vera met Elizabeth at five oclock and went home with her to dinner and to spend the evening.

It started to rain Monday night about five oclock as we left Joliet and rained harder the nearer home we came. We skidded around the roads in Marseilles considerably but managed to stay right side up. We reached Ottawa about seven thirty oclock. That wasn't bad time I didn't think. We couldnt go fast as the paving was wet and slippery.

Tomorrow night the Lady Maccabees are giving a birthday party and everyone must dress as children. Can you imagine me in short skirts and curls? I don't care much for such affairs but am going mostly to deliver the collectors books to Jane King. I am too busy to manage them any longer.

I still have the rose from Sunday, it is still fragrant although not fresh any more. 

Yes bring your camera Sunday and we will take some pictures. You may have dinner at home but you must come here for supper. We will be looking for you. Call me when you get in.

This has been a dark day although it hasn't rained since Monday, yet it stays cloudy. Just seems like the sun will never shine.

Well Rayson I am very tired tonight, also tomorrow is wash day so will bring this letter to a close. I will not expect an answer but will see you Sunday. Until then I am as ever,
Lovingly your,
Edythe.








No comments:

Post a Comment