Thursday, April 19, 2018

February 27, 1922 A letter with news and photograph request

This letter to Rayson from Edythe mentions Vera, Edythe's sister, and Vera's husband Billy. It seems that they were in Chicago at the same time Rayson was there and they all spent some time together. It also mentions the Masons. Rayson was a 32 degree Mason, known because he also kept all of his Masonic memorabilia. I mentioned before that he was a saver! There is also a bit of gossip in this letter and who can resist some gossip?







Addressed to:
G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

From (on envelope back):
408 Marcy St.
Ottawa, Ill.

Transcription:

Ottawa Ill
2-27-1922

Dear Rayson:

The postman brought your letter Wednesday as I was ready to start for Dayton, and so I opened and read it going up on the train. Rayson your letters are wonderful, little did I imagine that Sunday just how you felt towards me. It seems impossible, because as I said before you allways seemed to choose Vera in preference to me. But in those days I was usually so quiet that I do not blame anyone for not bothering about me. However I was surely glad to see you that Sunday night and will always remember it. My old quietness left me and I felt as though we had talked together for years.

And so you were to Mabel's on Sunday. I did not know her personally but would like to have been there just the same. Her sister, Isabel is going quite steadily with George Moore. It is rather what we call a bad case. Isn't that it? He works for the express company also.

You must surely have some awfully good times in the Mason's. I wish I could be there to go along. If it were not for having to be back to work I should almost try and go with you Please go though and write and tell me all about it.

We have not heard on word from Vera & Billy since I was up there. Have they be sick, do you know? Or perhaps they are busy with the play the church is giving.

Everything is going well at the office at present, but there has been times when I thought I just could not stand it another day. While I am awfully tired of the place yet there is something about the express business that holds you. One just cannot seem to get away from it. I am waiting now for an answer from Father and then I will decide whether I stop working the first of April or not.

Rayson, Please do not think I am getting bold, but I really would like to have a photograph of yourself, even just a snap shot if you have one. Please send one if you can.

Vera has evidently been telling you about the tribe I have to work with. Well I will say that some of them try to make life as disagreeable for me as posilbe but I just consider the source and leave it go. After all Rayson it is only a difference in our religion and their belief, for theirs really is not what you would call religion, that causes them to act the way they do. They think we cannot see through them, while it is themselves who are too narrow minded to see. As you say they will all pay up for it sooner or later. I am glad I have some one who thinks of me and my little troubles even though you cannot be here to take my part. It helps a lot if one just has someone to tell all your troubles to.

Well Dear I am going to bring this to a close. I know it is not much of a letter but you have probably noticed by this time that I am not very good at writing letters. Also my writing is very poor, I am so used to writing with a pencil that I just cannot manage a pen anymore.

Write real soon and please spell my name any way you like best, just so I get your letters it will be all right with me.

Sincerely,
Edythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment