Saturday, May 19, 2018

June 14, 1922 Mother has had a letter from Father, the house in California is finished!



Addressed to:
Mr G. Rayson Brown.
1468. East 67. St.
Chicago. Ill.

From.
408 Marcy St.
Ottawa Ill.

Transcription:
Ottawa, Illinois.
June 14- 1922.

My dear Rayson:-

Your very kind and welcome letter came to me yester-day morning, you dont know how glad I am to receive them, and such a comfort to know that you are not as far away as the rest of my children.

I dont know what I will do if you get started West before I do. I will just simply have to pack my Trunk and go too.

I had a letter this morning from our Father and he said he had the house all finished and ready for the kid's when they arrived.

I also got a card from Edythe, dated the 12th, and she said They would be in Cheyenne Wyoming that night. it won't be long now before they will be at their journey's end and then we can write to them, but it takes four days for a letter to go and come.

Rayson how very kind in you to offer to help me when you come! I certainly appreciate it, and thank you, but the hardest work I have to do is mowing the lawn, and I dont mind it. I couldn't think of leaving it for you to do when you come, that would look awful. You can help me do the dishes.

Monday I done the washing, and yester-day I mowed the lawn, and when I was through my foot caught in the lawn rake and I fell on the back walk and hurt my arm & knee. my arm is awfully bruised but I ironed this morning, started at exactly 7 and never stopped until I got through which was 1 O'clock. now I am pretty tired.


Well Rayson I had to laugh when I read in your letter if you didn't go to Calif pretty soon, Edythe would have to give you another picture, you just look at the picture all you want too, when it is worn out there is two more down here one large one that I think you never saw and you can have you choice.

And I will have the rug in the parlor all worn out going in there looking at your's and Edythe's picture. I have them setting side by side on the Table.

Dear Rayson these moon-light evenings I sit out on the front porch all by my self and think Think and Think. and wonder how long it will be before we will all be to-gather once more. and when the town clock strikes nine I go to my room and pray for my dear children and you dear boy is one of them. surely our great sorrow will end in happiness.

Well Rayson I am pretty tired. and it is 6:30 O'clock I will make myself a cup of tea. and then get the street car and go over town and mail your letter, and then come back and write a letter to our Father

I will now say good bye with love and best wishes to my dear boy. I am as ever
Loveingly your
Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment