Wednesday, May 23, 2018

June 17, 1922 Salt Lake City, Utah

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.
Chicago,
Illinois.

From:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa,
Illinois.





Transcription:
Salt Lake City, Utah
June, 17, 1922

Dearest Rayson:

I am wondering how you are this morning. I could not sleep any more so thought I would write to you. Please excuse the writing dear as it is rather difficult to write on ones lap.

I'll bet you think my letters few and far between, but dear it is hard to find time to write as we are always on the move and just remember that I am thinking of you anyway.

Thursday night we spent the night in a little log cabin which we rented for the night there was a stove and table in it and so we managed to keep warm. Dear I wouldn't live in this country if they would pay me, it is so cold nights, we all nearly freeze.

We arrived here at Salt Lake almost sundown last night. It looks awfully pretty from the mountain tops. We are now in the mountains proper and although we go through some pretty risky places yet I like them just fine. There are several snow covered peaks and so there are a great many springs of fresh water as cold as ice.

Yesterday the Ford gave us a little trouble, mornings we have to make all the hills in low and in the afternoons we make them all in high, but for a change it balked a couple of times. One of the spark plugs needed attention and then you should have seen how it ran.

The two families of us went up town to dinner last night and the mosquitos nearly ate us up. There will be a whole swarm light on you at once let me tell you its a fight to get rid of them.

The rest of the family just got up and announced that we would breakfast uptown and go from there sightseeing. We are going to lay over a day here for that purpose, also to give the car a rest.

At twelve oclock we are going to the tabernacle to hear the organ recital. I suppose you have heard all all about its being the largest organ in the world and so I will not bother telling you. Then this afternoon we will go to the lake. I would like very much to go in bathing but that all depends on how warm the water is.

Vera is trying to find some one to press our dresses. You can imagine how they look after being in a suit case all this time. We thought we should dress up a little to go to the temple.

How did you like the picture dear? Please do not think too badly of it. Everyone here wears the knicker suits, they are much handier to climb in. Once in a while we have to walk up a steep grade, and they are fine.

They have a fine camping ground here, it is just back from the ball park. Everyone registers as they come in, they have shower baths and a little grocery store. There are something like a hundred machines here. Everyone lays over a day to see the sights.

Well dearest, I never can seem to have two minutes to myself. Vera has just told Billy that we would meet them downtown in an hour and that means hurry again. They are going down to get shaved. I will write again soon. With all my love I am as allways,
Lovingly yours,
Edythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment