Friday, May 25, 2018

June 20, 1922 - "We are just starting to have our trouble."

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

From:
E. G. Sisson
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.

Transcription:

Ely, Nevada
June 20 - 1922

Dear Rayson:

I am so sorry not to have written before now, after I promised you I would write every day but dear I didn't realize then what that would mean on a trip like this. We are just starting to have our trouble.

Saturday morning after I finished writing to you we had to hurry and dress, meet the McCaffreys down town for breakfast and then went to the organ recital. The music was wonderful and I hope some day you may hear it. We went from there to see the capital building and then out to Great Salt Lake. Billy and Buck went in bathing but Mr. Mac. wouldn't go in. They have all sorts of amusements besides. It is a very pretty place.


Sunday morning we left early and thought we could cross the desert by night. We could have it if had not been for a tourist we met in Tooelle. He directed us to take another trail, saying it would be better, which we did. We went altogether about ninety nine miles out of our way and probably would still be somewhere in Utah now if we hadn't met a couple fellows in a ford coming east over that trail. They told us to turn back as there was seven miles of the road under salt water, hub deep and they had had a terrible time. Can you imagine us in a mess like that. We came back and spent the night in Tooelle and as we started early Monday morning, before the stores opened we didn't get anything for dinner or anything to eat if we got hungry on the desert. We reached Gold Hill about two oclock, all the cafes were closed for the summer and they would not feed us at the hotel, needless to say we were nearly starved. All we could get was bread, preserves and cookies from the store and then everyone had ice cream at the drug store.

Last night we camped at Tippetts Ranch, right out in the farm yard. They had a little one horse store, but nothing in it except canned goods. We had to eat crackers instead of bread.

Tonight we are here in Ely, a much larger place but a very poor camp grounds. Out here they have no trees so you can imagine what the grounds look like. We drove today until three oclock, having had our two first punctures and dirty spark plugs, and so we are calling it a day.

Please darling do not get out of patience with me if you do hear from me every day although I would like to do so. When I am all settled in my new home which I hope will be in about five days now, I promise you will hear oftener and dear what will be even better, I shall hear from you. I miss you dear even more than you can imagine and dream about you constantly. I shall be very glad when the time is up and you will be coming west also.


As we cannot hear from Mother I am always wondering how she is getting along all by herself. Write her a card dear once in a while to keep her in good spirits.

Well darling I am going to write her a little letter and so will close. With all my love I remain
Lovingly yours,
Edythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment