Monday, May 7, 2018

May 26, 1922 Special Delivery

This letter features a 10 cent special delivery stamp in addition to the 2 cent stamp and I'm not sure why. Nothing seems urgent, except maybe the plans for Decoration Day.



Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

From:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.

Transcription:
Ottawa, Ill.
5-26-1922

Dearest Rayson:

Your wonderful long letter came this morning and dear I had begun to wonder what had become of you, though I supposed you were very busy. We had a terrible storm here yesterday, water stood in the streets knee deep. We were invited to dinner on the west side and it almost spoiled things for us. However we went in the Ford and had a very nice time. 

It has just started to pour down rain again but dear, nothing can dampen my high spirit just at this time, for I have only ten minutes ago sold the adding machine to Officer Riley and beat him at it too. I made more on it than I paid for it and then I bought it second hand too. I am surely glad to be rid of it, it was a regular 'elephant' so to speak.

After careful thinking dear, we had better adopt plan #3, for you to come here Decoration Day as Aunt Vic has invited us all over to lunch on that day. She has been waiting for a chance to when Billy and you would both be here. Our little Mother has a lovely lot of flowers, so don't bother bringing any along. We can take them to your Mother's in the afternoon, if you would like to.

I think it would be fine if both you and Billy would come down Monday night after you are through work. Get the train that leaves there around ten oclock and we girls will meet you here with the car to get the luggage home and Mother wants you to come here to stay all night. But suit yourself about when you want to come, also maybe Billy wouldn't agree with this.

Our tents and camp cots came Wednesday and this morning early the little stove came. They are all very good quality of merchandise. We got two small shelter tents and so Vera & I will have a little room all by ourselves and the boys one of their own.


1920's flyer, image from
http://light.papo-art.com/tech-n-info/Coleman_technical/ColemanPaper.htm

Louise & Roger Jr. have been over nearly afternoon since they came home. He is certainly a dear baby and has taken quite a liking to me. Every time he sees the car he says "Bye-Bye Bile-Mamma" as cute as anything.

I gave Mother thirty dollars of the money from the Burrough's and she was very glad although she didn't want to take it. I would rather do that than have her spend all of her money.

Well dear I am going to bring this to a close so that I can get it mailed early. We are invited to Armstrong's tonight and I will make this on the way there. Write a letter, if only a few lines, Sunday so that I will get it Monday to let me know whether you are coming Monday night. Then I will know whether or not to meet the train. Will close for this time and look for a speedy reply. Until then I remain as always, with all my love,
Lovingly yours,
Edythe.

P.S.- Dear you and I will have to have a little talk over this aviation question and see what can be done. -Love - Edythe.








No comments:

Post a Comment