Monday, May 28, 2018

June 25, 1922 - We arrived in Los Angeles, California!

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

From:
5135 Grange Ave.
Los Angeles, Calif.

Transcription:
Los Angeles, Cal.,
June, 25 - 1922

Dearest Rayson:


We arrived last evening in this beautiful city and surprised our dear Father almost beyond words. He was in his room at the hotel at half past five, reading his paper, not expecting us before today. He is so thin dear, since the last time I saw him that I just broke down and cried but didn't tell him why. It would only worry him, poor fellow he has had a bad time all by himself and was really getting discouraged. If we hadn't come soon I don't know what he would have done.


Darling, I had a lovely surprise also, for Father handed me two letters, one from our dear Mother and the other from you. It made me so happy dear to hear from you so soon.

Father brought us all our to the new house where we stayed all night. It is surely a cute little place, like a doll house. Some day maybe we will have one just like it. There are four rooms, a parlor, kitchen, bedroom and bath room. The only thing lacking is clothes closets. We are all wondering where we will put our clothes, when they come from the express office.


Tomorrow we will go down town and buy curtains, shades and other fixtures, then Vera has rugs and so on, so by the time Mother and you arrive things will seem like home. 

There is no water, gas or electricity as yet but that will be in very soon. Anything seems like home to us after sleeping in a tent for so long.


We are pretty lucky to be here, last Thursday afternoon we got stuck in Westguard pass out of gas and as it is so far to the nearest town we had to stay until morning. We four slept in the car as there was no place to put up tents, and really I never spent such a night. We were all cramped and stiff in the morning.

William Bucko is still with us and will stay until the car is repaired. The regenerator is broken and the car is just white with alkali dust and needs washing badly.


The nieghbors were awfully good, we had hardly landed before they were here to meet us. Mr & Mrs Stawinski live on our left and Mr & Mrs Clayton and daughter are just back of us. The Clayton's brought us bedding and benches to sit upon.

Today Father started building a house for the Stawinski's and at noon she brought him his dinner of chicken, potatoes, lettuce salad, cookies, pie, cantaloupe, peaches and large red cherries, also two bottles of near beer. She is a wonderful cook for a foriegner. 


We have just been up town to get Father's clothes from the hotel and on the way back a cop picked us up for having only one dim light. They are very strict here we are told.

I am glad dear that you liked the little snapshot but I will surely be glad to get some other clothes to wear for a change. I had almost forgotten that I had anything else to wear.


Darling I am glad you have started packing, it surely sounds good to me, only I wish you were here now. Tomorrow I will have your photo to look upon, just think dearest I haven't seen you for so long, it seems an age. The time cannot fly any too quickly to suit me, until we can be together again.

Mother surely thinks a lot of you dearest and was so glad to think that you thought enough of her to leave Chicago and come down to spend to fourth of July with her. She didn't mention a thing about getting hurt, I suppose she didn't want to worry us. Please dear do not mention anything to her that I write to you, that you think might worry her.


Darling it is getting very late and I must close. I imagine you can tell by this letter that I have not entirely collected my senses, I start in on one subject and finish up on another. When we get settled things will go better.

I should not have mentioned anything about that subject, when I wrote to you enroute for dearest lover, I did believe what you said and am very sure you love me, I love and care for you also dear and will try to make you as happy as you have already made me. I only wish you could be here where I could take care of you always, as it is I can only say good night for this time, and with all my love I remain as always, your own,
Edythe.


No comments:

Post a Comment