Thursday, May 31, 2018

June 28, 1922 crying, crying, crying

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 E 67 St.
Chicago Ill.



Return address:
From.
408 Marcy St.
Ottawa Ill.

Transcription:

Ottawa Illinois
June 28-1922

My dear Boy:-

How glad I was to get your dear letter this after-noon for I had been looking for one from you since Mon-day. I was indeed worried I thought sure that you were ill. for I didn't remember of writing any thing that would offend you, although I wrote the letter in an awful hurry. and when I didn't get a letter this morning I cam right in and wrote that awful letter in a hurry so that Evalyn Yost could mail it on her way back to the office. but my dear Boy please forgive me, for I havnt been myself since Mon-day after-noon. every thing worries me so. I got a card from L.A. Calif. Express Company in regard to Edythe's Box and the Trunk, and it worried me so I was nearly sick. my dear girl used to do all of my business for me, and now I have it all to do. 




Yes my dear Rayson I dont say it because Edythe is my girl, but she is an honest kind hearted respectable girl, and no one can say any thing different and tell the truth. it was always Mr Sisson's and my great aim to raise the girl's up honest and respectable, and I think we have succeeded. Rayson I know it was hard for Edythe to tell you what shed did, but down in her heart she knew that she aught to tell you, and did. but I fully intend to relieve her of that embarrassment. My dear Boy when I read in your letter how well you spoke of  Edythe and the great respect you had for her, it made me cry. the poor girl has had quite enough sorrow for once, and no one in this town that knows the true state of affairs blames her in the least. 

Yes Rayson when I wrote that letter to Edythe a week or so ago, I told her that you wrote to me twice a week and that you were coming to spend the 4th with me, so she will know that you have kept your promise. dear Boy you come on the evening train, "I am going to sit up and wait for you," for I am just lonesome to see you.  if I did go to bed I couldnt sleep sleep with the thoughts of your coming. And when you arrise in the morning , I am going to ask you to put up the 4th of July flag. 





I was over to Aunt Vick's yester-day after-noon, and we as we sat out in her swing I thought of Decoration day when we were all there, and the big tears came to my eyes, and finally rolled down my cheek's, and Vick turned to me and said "for goodness sakes Edith what is the matter?" Oh the neighbors come in quite often and find me crying. but my dear boy I am going to try and avoid that when you come for dont want to make your visit an unhappy one.

Well my dear Boy I think I will have to stop writing and go to bed. I didn't sleep much last night. I awaikened ot out of a sad dream crying. I will now close wishing you may may dream of Edythe. 

With lots of Love and best Wishes
I am as ever
Loveingly
Mother.


Note: The shameful thing that Edythe "did" may have been a short disastrous marriage. I was told that she didn't talk about it much. I have looked for details, but so far haven't come up with documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment