Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 4, 1922 "Your darling letter came this morning..."

This letter says April 4th, but was written May 4th and mailed on the 5th. An error I often make myself when the month or year has just advanced.








Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago, 
Illinois.

From:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.

Transcription:
Ottawa Ill
April 4, 1922

Dear Rayson:

Your darling letter came this morning, while I was sewing. Making over a dress as usual. There is so much sewing to be done.

Mother painted the front porch today, she just cannot seem to take a day off. We are getting ready to put up the screens. That will be my job as I took them down and know just where they go. Mother is quite well again but gets tired quickly and we almost have to fight to get her to set down, she thinks she must be busy every minute.

Edythe on a front porch swing.
I believe this is the house on Marcy Street.

Vera has gone to choir practice with Vera Galley over to the Episcopal church. The Bishop is to be there next Sunday. Mother and I are going in the evening to hear their program. 

Edith (Duffield) Sisson, "Mother"

Vera and Edythe Sisson, sisters.

This morning the bird scolded so, so Mother thought she would see if he would come out of the cage or what he would do. We brought a dandelion blossom and put it just outside his door. He wanted it badly enough but was afraid to come out after it. Finally the temptation was too great and out he came. Then he was so surprised he was a little frightened and flew all around the kitchen. After that we had quite a time to get him back in his cage and now every time we o near him, he thinks we are going to let him out again. 

Speaking of dandelions, you should see our "home brew." It is working like every thing. Shouldn't wonder it will be ready in three weeks. Vera took it down off the shelf and it smelled like the real thing already. You would never know she was a good church member.

Listen dear, about coming down the fourteenth. We don't care if it is late when we get home, do we, and it is not very tiresome riding. Besides it will be nice and moonlight by that time. Suppose we don't get started before seven thirty or eight o'clock we would get home then as early as though you took a train. Besides that would give Vera and I a chance to rest in the park while you are getting ready, you know we will feel like resting after walking around the loop all day. Mother wants you to come too, she says theres an extra bed for you. Please think it over dear and tell me in you next letter. 

I am also very lonesome for you dear, you have given me new faith in life, new strength to go on. And now to think that we must be separated by so many miles when I have only just found you. All the time we are on the way I will not hear from you but dear I will write to you as often as I can.

It is getting late dear so I will bring this letter to a close. Write soon and tell me all about yourself. With all my love I am yours as ever,
Edythe.

Close up of the seal, you can see the letter S for Sisson




No comments:

Post a Comment