Friday, May 11, 2018

June 7, 1922, A letter to Rayson from Mother

Edythe's mother, Edith (Duffield) Sisson, stayed back in Ottawa while her husband, Charles, was already in California building a new home for the family. Their daughters, Edythe and Vera, have just left; en route to join him via automobile. The plan was that once the girls arrived in California, Charles would go back to Illinois to take care of last minute business and then bring his wife to California.

I think that Mother may have been a bit of a meddler. She wrote several letters to Rayson, and as you'll see, did her best always to remind him that her daughter was a great catch. This is the first of her letters to her future son-in-law.





Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468. E 67. St.
Chicago Ill.

From
408 Marcy St
Ottawa Ill

Transcription:
Ottawa Ill.
June 7- 1922.

Dear Rayson. -

I disremember which of us was to write first, or if it was decided on, but however I am taking the liberty of writing first. Well Rayson I got a card from the children this A.M. and I suppose you will have a letter from Edythe by now. dont ever think but what Edythe will be true to you she promised me she would. It nearly broke my heart to see her go for she is my best girl.

Rayson do you remember the sunday I started to tell you something in regard to Edythe's sorrow and trouble? When you come down to see me a I will tell you all, and I know you will not blaim her.

Since the children have gone it is so lonesome here I can hardly stand it. every morning the first thing I do when I get up is to go in the room and look at your's and Edythe's picture, but I do hope the time will soon pass so we can be to-gather again.

I believe when you was here Sunday you said you would write and tell me how you got home. I hope you arrived all O.K.

It has been awfully warm here. Yester-day and to-day was awful. I think I will go down town in a day or two and have a talk with a Real Estate Agent in regard to selling the Home, but will keep the corner lot in case we should ever want to come back.

I will now bring this letter to a close. hoping to hear from you soon.

Loveingly
Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment