Friday, June 22, 2018

August 2, 1922 Inquisitive Cousin Cora and Charles Sisson's Tools

I think that Cousin Cora is Cora Beguin, Edith Duffield Sisson's (Mother) cousin. Cora's parents were Elizabeth Duffield and August Charles Beguin. The family also lived in Ottawa, Illinois. It could, though, be Cora, the wife of George Beguin, another child of  August and Elizabeth Beguin. George and Cora lived in North Dakota. In this case, she would have been a cousin only by marriage, so I think it more likely to be Cora the first cousin of Edith.

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.



Return address:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.



Ottawa, Ill.,
Aug. 2. 1922.

Dearest Rayson:

Your dear letter came today and I was surely glad to know that you are feeling so much better. You must not worry so dear, because if I hadn't caught cold the trip wouldn't have bothered me at all. I am feeling just fine again and dearest, our dear little Mother looks like herself again. We will never leave her again if I can help it, it surely has taught me a good lesson.


Mother worried about selling the house, she never had any dealings of that sort before and was afraid they might not do right by her. I do not know any more about it than she does but if you can bluff them into thinking so, why alright. And so I am seeing to things for her, everything is fine so far.

We are going right ahead and have disposed of a few pieces of furniture already. Today we were in the garage and sorted over Father's tools. There are ever so many that he doesn't want and so many packages of nails. Enough to build a house. We have everything sorted out ready for sale.


We had a letter from the folks out west, today. They are all well as usual, but Vera said she was awfully tired. They have all of my letters and want to know what to do with them. I am going to tell them to send them here dear, and then if you want you can have the one letter back without my reading it. Although I know I deserve a good scolding but will try to make it up to you later. 

I never could write an interesting letter and cannot write things like I could say them. You letters dear are always wonderful but mine I'm afraid are nothing.


Yesterday morning while we were washing Cousin Cora came and although she knew we were busy, she stayed for lunch. Cora is alright except for her inquisitiveness. She asks one question after another and nearly has poor Mother wild. After lunch I went over town to mail the letter to you and after I had gone her questioning became so personal that Mother was almost beside herself. She is just perfectly as insulting as she can be.


Last night we had a thunder shower, rain came down by the bucket fulls. It seemed nice to see it again, out there it only sprinkles during the summer. This morning everything was fresh and green again.

Well dear we are going downtown shopping early in the morning and as it is getting late I will close for this time.


Mother sends her love and best wishes dear, the same as I. We are looking forward to Sunday, it will not be long now. Good night for this time,

With all my love - Edythe.

P.S. - Dearest, do you want me to meet you Saturday night? I would like to, if you think it would be alright. Tell me when you write - Love - Edythe.


Charles Sisson's tools were saved by Edythe and Rayson and passed down to their son Warren. When Warren passed away, I was able to save the following tools for my husband, Charles' great grandson. He was thrilled to have these pieces that belonged to a great grandfather that he never knew.







No comments:

Post a Comment