Friday, June 15, 2018

July 20, 1922 Shopping, a terrible murder, and looking for work

Addressed to:

Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th At.,
Chicago,
Illinois.



Return address:

From - 5009 Whittier Blvd.,
Los Angeles, Calif.

Transcription:

Los Angeles, Cal.
July 20 - 1922.

Dearest Rayson:

I wonder so many times how you are getting along and long to see your dear face again. It is from you that I gain courage to go on, out here in this new country and especially in this new territory. If it were not for knowing that you are coming soon I do not know what I would do. Just now it seems like I am here on a visit and will seem so until you and Mother come.


Vera and I were down town Wednesday doing a little shopping. Vera bought beads for a new dress and I bought something to embroider. I feel lost when I am not busy.

We went into Bullock's store to see Jessie McKay, Glen McKay's sister. Did you know them? We finally located the employees register only to learn that Jessie had left. We found out later that she is back home to sell the property and then she is coming back here.


I have asked Father about who is to go home and help pack, but he seems undecided as yet. While I would like very much to go, yet it will take more money than I have left and if I stay I will find work some where and pick up a few extra dollars. There are so many things I need. I bought part of a tea set at a Jap Shop and will get the rest of the set as soon as I can. They are awfully pretty.



There has been another terrible murder here. A woman by the name of Mrs Phillips murdered a Mrs Alberta Meadows with a hammer. She is so brazen about it which makes it more terrible. Mrs Stawinski, our neighbor saw Clara Phillips as they were taking her from the jail to court. She makes it a point to see them all.

Last night we drove down town, to see if there was any mail at the hotel. and while we were gone the Yosts were here. I suppose they are ready to start back home and wanted to see if we had any message to send. We are in hopes they will come again tonight but doubt it very much.



Billy was over to Long Beach Monday in search of work and found a place with Swift & Co. They will notify him by mail if he is to have a position. He will probably tell you all about it later.

We ironed again today and cleaned a little, then got dressed and went over to Whittier Blvd to buy groceries and so I am very tired.

Please, dear, excuse the pencil as we have no good pen and ink. Some day perhaps we will have time to get a few extra necessities.

Well my own dear lover I have no news for you and so will close but will write soon again. Write when you can, your letters are such a comfort to me. Give my love to Mother when you write to her.

Good night for this time dear, with all my love I remain,
Yours as ever,
Edythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment