Friday, June 1, 2018

June 30, 1922 ...an oasis in the middle of the desert

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 E 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.

Return address:
5135 Orange Ave E.
Los Angeles, Calif.



Transcription:

Los Angeles, Cal.
June 30 - 1922.

Dearest Rayson:

Just a few lines to you while I have a little time. Father will soon be home to lunch, it keeps us busy getting meals and wondering what to cook.

To begin with I am going to confess that I do not care for this place. It is merely an oasis in the middle of the desert. Our lot is not in the oasis, for it is in a new section just opened up and although people are building here very fast, yet we have no water, gas, electricity, trees, grass, flowers or anything. The rodes are not paved and the house is allways dusty. I am so afraid that Mother will not like it after what she has been used to. I am going to order the water put in today and try and get some grass and flowers started. Maybe then it will look more cheerful by the time she comes. My bank roll although not very large to begin with has diminished to almost nothing. I am keeping the table and furnishing the house.





Really dear I wouldn't mind all these things one bit if you were with me but you are back there in God's country and it makes me want to be there too.

A couple of fellows keep a little restuarant where Father used to eat, who came from Kans. City. Although making good at their trade they say that this is not their country, that the United States is on the other side of the Rocky Mountains. I quite agree with them.

The city itself is a real China town in my estimation. There are every race of people under the sun here. The city is not laid out under any special plan, the streets run straight and diagonal.  Railroads are not elevated and holds the traffic up at times. Traffic rules are a real Chinese puzzle, one never knows when they are doing right.

Wednesday night we drove to Long Beach to see Aunt Mae and Uncle Herb. It is a beautiful place there and they have a pretty little house. Uncle looks a little older but Aunt is just the same as ever. She is full of fun like Aunt Vic, I know you will like her dearest.

Do you know I wish we could sell this place and move in nearer the city and rent for a while until Mother could find a place she likes. Billy is busy now staining the woodwork, we are going to tint the walls and after we have it all fixed up it will sell better.





The sun didn't start shining here this morning until about nine thirty and isn't shining brightly yet. There are oil wells dotted all over the hills behind us but its hardly ever clear enough to see them. 

Sunday we are going over to Aunt Mae's again and from there we are all going to the beach, bathing. She said that last Sunday there were at least three thousand people in bathing, it surely is a popular place.

Well dearest I hope you do not think I am complaining too much but I just had to tell someone. I really don't know whether to tell Mother the truth about it or just keep still and let her see for herself.

I must close now as Father will soon be home and lunch must be ready. Write when you can, it will make me much happier.

With all my love I am as allways,
Your own,
Edythe.

Please send mail to Simplex Hotel to old address.

No comments:

Post a Comment