Tuesday, June 19, 2018

July 23, 1922 ...is it a sin to wish one's self dead?

Addressed to:
Mr G. Rayson Brown.
1468. E. 67 St.
Chicago Illinois.


No return address.

Transcription:
Ottawa, Illinois
July 23 - 1922

My own dear Boy:-



I received your very dear letter saturday morning. and Rayson as I have told you so many times before, I am always glad to hear from you. and this is what I done after I finished reading it, I got out the writing material and sat right down and wrote a letter to Edythe and gave her a scolding for not writing more often to you. and then left my Saturday's work and got ready and took the letter to the post office so that it would go with the western mail in the evening. Yes my dear Boy I think like you that she could have written sooner and I hope every thing will be all right. Rayson I dont think there is any thing wrong or that she thinks any less of you for she wrote so nice about you in my letter. and she also acknowledged in the letter that she did wrong in going away and leaving me. Rayson my dear Boy aren't you going to write to my girl any more, dont you still care for her? I certainly would feel awful bad if anything would happen between you and Edythe, for I do think you both were intended for each other, and Rayson I dont think she neglected writing to you with any cause it was pure carelessness. I have never told you before but two letters is all I have had from her since they arrived in L.A.



Rayson I know but very little about your Lodge, only what you have told me, and it is interesting and I like to have you tell me all that you are allowed to, it certainly must be a very nice order.

You surely are a dear good Boy to work all day and then go and visit the sick and suffering in the evening, and I know God will reward you for your kindness and simpathy, he surely will.



It rained here last evening and this morning was beautiful. I would have gone to Church, but I knew if I did I would just sit and cry, for that is just how I feel today, just so sad and lonesome. Rayson is it a sin to wish one's self dead? for that is what I wish sometimes, and then all the sorrow and worry and trouble would be over. I have two sister's and a Brother here but they are not like your very own loved ones. Rayson my dear Boy when you hear from Edythe please let me know if every thing is all right for I wouldn't want it otherwise and now my dear Boy I will have to stop writing and get ready and take your letter down town so you will get it to-morrow. hoping to see you soon I will close with lots of love and very best wishes to my dear Boy. I am as ever and forever
Loveingly your Mother.

On an enclosed card:
Rayson when you come home I want you to come and stay here as you did the last time. I will stay up to welcome you. but I wont keep you up until morning as I did before. but I was so lonesome to see you I just coulnt help talking. Loveingly Mother.



Tucked into this envelope was a letter to Mother from Edythe dated July 22, 1922. Mother wouldn't have received it in time to mail it to Rayson with this letter, so it was tucked inside sometime later.

Los Angeles, Cal.
July 22 - 1922

Dear Mother:
Just received your letter this morning to Father and was so glad to hear from you. If we cannot sell the place we will rent it, you must come out here soon. We will none of us really feel settled until you are.

Father is busy and looks like he will be for a while and so Mother, I am coming back to help you. I called Mrs. Yost this afternoon and they are starting Monday night at seven thirty but I couldn't make her hear and so dont know by which road. I suppose the Rock Island though the same as they came.
And so I will see you soon Mother and can tell you all about the place. I must close now and write to Rayson, he will be overjoyed. Maybe we can all come out together. 



Well dear Mother I must close and help Vera get the supper. Will see you soon,
Most Lovingly,
Your Edythe.
P.S. Vera's traveling bag came today - Everything all O.K.

Note regarding Rayson's "Lodge". He was a Mason and, as he saved these letters, he also saved much, if not all, of his Masonic memorabilia. There is jewelry, an elaborate sword and belt, an apron, membership cards, and his 32 Degree certificate earned while in Chicago shortly before he and Edythe began dating. He continued his service in Los Angeles. Edythe's father, Charles Sisson, was also a Mason, and there are bits that belonged to him, too. It's a fascinating collection that I may share here in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment