Monday, June 18, 2018

July 22, 1922 - Edythe, the Yosts', and the Rock Island Railway

This letter, written and mailed on Saturday, was to let  Rayson know that Edythe would be leaving on Monday to return home by train. She expected to arrive on Thursday.

Addressed to:

Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.


Return address:

E.G. Sisson.
5009 Whittier Blvd.,
Los Angeles, Calif.


Transcription:

Los Angeles, Cal.,
July 22 - 1922

Dearest Rayson:

Every letter I have had lately dear you have said you had not received a letter but would write anyway. That is strange as I have written, and you will get them no doubt.



By the time you get this little note dear heart I will be traveling eastward, for dear we have decided that as long as Father is working he should keep on and I will go back to help Mother. The Yosts are leaving Monday night at seven thirty, I think via Rock Island Ry and I am going with them. We will probably be home Thursday sometime.



I shall be so glad if I can make Mother feel better and I will be so glad to see you both dear that I can hardly wait. I am so excited about that I cannot think of a thing to say so will close and help Vera get supper. I have just finished a letter to our dear Mother to tell her I am coming.

Will say good bye until I see you dear,
Lovingly Edythe.

In 1910, The Irvin Yost family lived at 419 Marcy Street, just a few doors down from the Sisson's at #408. Both Mr. Yost and Charles Sisson were carpenters, they worked at the same company, and both had two daughters of about the same ages. In an earlier letter written in May, Edythe mentioned that Mr. Yost had worked for Sander Bros. construction company since he was 16 years old and was heading to California with a group of fifteen people including the Perham family, who also lived nearby. It's not known if the Yost family was going back to Illinois for good, or if, like Edythe, they were just going back to finalize the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment