Wednesday, June 20, 2018

July 26, 1922 ...our DEAR girl is on HER WAY HOME

My husband's grandmother, Vera Sisson, married twice. Her first husband was William Armstrong, Vera's mother refers to him in this letter as "Willie". My husband descends from her second husband and we didn't have a photo I could share. I asked a grandson of Vera and William if he had any photos of his grandfather and he sent me two that were taken of him during WWI. These letters were written just a few years later, so he probably looked much the same. This one shows him in the most detail.

William S. Armstrong.
Photo provided by his grandson, Kevin Armstrong.


Addressed to:
Mr G. Rayson Brown.
1468. E 67 St.
Chicago Illinois.

Return address:
From
408 Marcy St
Ottawa Ill.



1.
Ottawa Illinois.
July 26 - 1922.

My own dear Boy:-
I received your dear letter this morning, also one from Edythe and oh Rayson our dear girl is on her way home. she will be here Thursday or Friday and you can come home Saturday night. my dear boy word's cannot tell how happy I am it seems as though I have come out of the darkness into the light Rayson I certainly couldn't have stood it much longer. and my dear Boy I don't know what really would have become of me, only for you and your dear letter's of sympathy.


2
I never want to be left all alone any more.
There was a Mrs Reed here this morning from Dayton Ill. to look at the place she liked it real well and said she would come again next week she offered me three thousand would buy the insurance policy from me. and I think I will let her have it. The deal will be made between our selves. I will see what Edythe says when she comes. I do want to get rid of it before I go.
One of Edythe's girl friend's, "Irene Cole" was here monday evening she came to show me a Salad set that Edythe had sent her she said when she got her first letter from Edythe she


3.
just sat and cryed. Edythe left a lot of friends here when she went. and they will all welcome her back.
Rayson I am sending a design Willie made of our home in L.A. I also got a letter from Vera and she said Willie had got an accountants job with Swift and Co. (Meat.)


Well my dear Boy I must stop writing for my head aches. too much happiness I guess is the cause for when I got Edythe's letter saying she was coming, I had one big cry.
With love and best wishes to you my dear Rayson I am as ever
Loveingly your Mother


No comments:

Post a Comment