Saturday, July 28, 2018

October 15, 1922 - Father, Billy, Mr .Roani & Mr. Noack build a house for Vera

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago, 
Illinois.


Return address:
E. G. Sisson.
5009 Whittier Blvd.,
Los Angeles, Calif.
c/o Loftus Land Co.




Los Angeles, Cal.,
October, 15 - 1922.

Dearest Rayson:



I was wondering whether or not I would hear from you again this week and surely enough Billy brought home another wonderful letter. It made me so happy dear and I am so glad that you are well. Although I might have promised not to worry, you know dear that seems to be part of a woman's "make up", so to speak. We just cannot seem to help worrying.



It is Sunday again but you would never know it around here. Have to work just as much as any other day. Mr Roani and Mr Noack came over early to help Billy and Father build the house. I was down to the place this noon myself and it is really a nice location. Mother and I got dinner for the men and have just finished doing dishes. If you were here dear, you would most likely be putting them away. I can hardly wait until you come, I will be so happy.

It was nice of Harry to ask you there and I am glad you had a nice time. If we happen back there some day we will surely stop and see them.

Now dear, if I had thought for one minute that you would feel that way I would never have mentioned building on to the house. It is not on youre account at all. The truth is, when Father built this place he forgot all about clothes closets and consequently we must have more room to put our clothes. Just at present most of ours are in the garage, still packed. The neighbors around here think I only have one dress, I guess, as I always wear the same one. But then they don't bother me as I don't know any of them any way and a part of them I don't care to.



We drove to Alhambra one evening for a ride. Do you remember the Gualano's in Ottawa? Vincent and Fortunato are operating a music store in that city. They invited Vera and Billy to see them but they haven't gone yet.



I picked a few berries off the pepper trees here and am going to risk sending them in this letter although they may get crushed. The trees look awfully pretty, just hanging full of red berries.



And another thing if we ever want to sell here, it will sell quicker when there are improvements. The way it is now, no one would care for it. It can be made awfully nice in time.

You should see the pen I am writing with but it writes better than anything around here. It is a pen Father bought for me in Ch'go when I was a little girl. It is only seven inches long and as fat as a match. I have a hard time holding on to it. 

I asked Father about the mail being delivered here and he doesn't know how soon it will be, and so dear you had better give the Whittier Blvd., address and we can see about it when you come.

Billy and Father have just come home from the new house. They used all the lumber they had and so had to call it done for the time being. They most part of it is done, all that is left is the roof, plaster board walls and hanging doors and windows. It is a cute little place, only two rooms. When they build on, these two rooms will be turned into bed rooms.



Well dearest lover it is supper time and I must help Mother. She sends her love to you dear, as ever. I have no more news and so will close. With all the love in the world that I possess, for you dear I remain as ever yours only and lovingly,
Edythe.

P.S. - Dear, Mother thinks it best not to send the berries in the letter so will send them separately. Someone might tear this open and you would not get it.

For links to all the letters in this collection, go to https://ordinaryancestors.blogspot.com/p/edythe-and-rayson-love-letters.html where they are organized by date written.

No comments:

Post a Comment