Tuesday, July 31, 2018

October 22, 1922 - Aunt Mae has a heliotrope started for Mother.

Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago,
Illinois.


From E. G. Sisson.
5009 Whittier Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif.




Los Angeles, Cal.,
October, 22 - 1922.

My Dearest Rayson:

I received another of your wonderful letters Saturday evening and was so glad for I was not expecting one before the first of the week.



This was surely a beautiful day. I wish that you might have been here. There was no fog this morning and the sun came up bright and clear. We could see the mountains quite plainly and that is "very unusual" for that time of the day. Some days we do not see them at all. Later in the day it was quite warm and the air seemed smoky. Some say that is caused from dust or sand storms in the desert. Tonight it is warm enough out of doors to sit without a coat.



There is a pretty new moon tonight hanging over in the south west. I hope dear that you will like this country. It is beautiful by moonlight, when the moon is at its fullest, it seems as though you could reach up and touch it and twice as bright as it is back there.

Billy and Father worked on the house all day. Father put in the windows and Billy wired for lights. Vera calls it her "chicken coop".


After dinner I shampooed my hair but it wasn't very satisfactory as the water is so hard. I will have to look for some castile soap.

Tomorrow the folks are thinking of going to the city shopping and Tuesday Mother, Vera and I are going to drive to Long Beach to see Aunt Mae and spend the afternoon with her. She has a Heliotrope started for Mother. That is my favorite flower. It grows as high as the eaves of the houses here and back home if it grew to be a foot and a half high we thought it wonderful.



Well dearest heart I suppose you are in Ottawa today to see the folks. Write and tell me whether you saw Aunt Vic and give my best regards to Blanche when you write to her. I should liked to have seen her before I left but you know how busy we were.

Have you received the box of pepper berries dear? Vera picked a big box full and sent them to Mrs Armstrong. They make a nice bouquet for winter there.



Last night we three went over to Whittier Blvd, to do our Sunday buying and on our way home we stopped into the dancing pavillion. Vera likes to dance but I am sorry to say that I cannot dance anything but a waltz any more. We didn't stay long but when we started home a heavy fog had lowered and you couldn't see ten feet from you. We became lost, quite naturally, but finally managed to get home all right side up with care. Mother was glad to be home again and Father and Billy were surely relieved when we arrived. It was something terrible, just like London fog.



Mother bought a lovely white ivory bed downtown for twenty dollars, complete. Wasn't that a splendid buy? Down at a store on the boulevard they are selling whole bedroom outfits for seventy five dollars. This includes bed, dresser, chiffonier and chair. I think she intends buying one.

How does it happen that Anna Devore is going with Isabel? I thought Isabel and Bessie Maxwell were inseparable. Nothing that she says can ever worry me dear, I shall just pretend that I don't hear it. That is the best way.

I had a long letter from Irene Cole, Saturday, also. She and Paul and Catherine and Ed Jacobs have been to Detroit, Mich for a couple weeks. When they returned every one thought that Irene and Paul were married. She said Paul did want to get married but she knew her folks would not like it if she were married away from home and so she wouldn't. She had a lovely time and is wild about Detroit.



Well dear this old month is drawing to a close quite swiftly and none to quickly to suit me, for dearest mine, with every little week that slips by brings us nearer together. Mother says it will not be long now, please write and tell me when.

I must close dear heart as it is getting very late and I shall have to be up early tomorrow. Write soon dear and take good care of yourself. With all move and kisses for you, my dearest lover, I remain as ever and forever,
Lovingly your,
Edythe.

For links to all the letters in this collection, go to https://ordinaryancestors.blogspot.com/p/edythe-and-rayson-love-letters.html where they are organized by date written.

No comments:

Post a Comment