Thursday, July 12, 2018

September 15, 1922 - Rayson's sword

Rayson was a Mason, and in this letter, Edy offers to pack his sword with her family's belongings for the trip west. It's not known if he brought it to Ottawa for Edythe to pack, but the sword did make it to California. It was one of the items saved from the home of Warren Brown, son of Edythe and Rayson, after Warren's death.



Addressed to:
Mr. G. Rayson Brown.
1468 East 67th St.,
Chicago, 
Illinois.


Return address:
408 Marcy St.,
Ottawa, Ill.




Ottawa, Ill.,
Sept 15 - 1922.

Dearest Rayson:

Just a few lines this morning while I have a little time so that you will receive your Saturday letter as usual.



To me dear this has been a long week. Not long enough though with the work yet to be done and too long when I have to wait a whole week to see you.

I wanted to ask you yesterday dear, but it slipped my mind, whether or not you think Blanch would like my guitar? You said she could play one and so if you think she would like it she can have it. Or has she one already?



Last Saturday night I met Pearl Anderson-Kinzer and I told her I would give her my large vase, also some cups and saucers. She called yesterday and said she would come for them this Sunday afternoon. You will not mind if she is here for a little while will you dear? It is probably the last time I will see her for a while.

Today we are going to town to fix up the deed, coming home and pack the box and the other trunk. There is a great deal to be done here yet.



This is the last day of the Fair and tomorrow the old town will settle back again in the same old rut.

The Yost girls are leaving tonight at eight thirty. Evelyn is going to work until eight oclock and they're not going to take a berth. They will surely be tired when they get there.


Well dearest I haven't any news and no more space and so will close. With all my love and best wishes I remain, Yours Always,
Edythe.

P.S. - See you all Saturnday nite -



P.S. - I just happened to think dear about your sword. Do you want to bring it with you tomorrow and pack it in our box or will you need it until you come west? We will have plenty of room if you want to do that.
Lovingly,
Edythe.













For links to all the letters in this collection, go to https://ordinaryancestors.blogspot.com/p/edythe-and-rayson-love-letters.html where they are organized by date written.


No comments:

Post a Comment